05 December 2011

This is REAL LIFE

My kiddos came home today!!! YAY! (I am a single mom for those of you who don't know.) Time to get back to being a mom after 10 days away from my "real job"!

I remember having a mini baking set that I used when my mom would make he famous Chocolate Chip Pies. She would always make a little extra for me to have enough for my mini version. Those are days I'll never forget and as busy as I am helping people navigate this crazy real estate market, I want my children to have the same memories with me as I do with my mom. So....

Tonight my kids got a cooking lesson. Instead of ordering Pizza Hut Tuscany Chicken Alfredo (that they love, BTW!)  we made our version of it along with Cheddar Garlic Biscuits (follow the recipe on the Bisquick box). So here's how we did it... Unbelieveably easy!

1 pound of chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
1 box of Ziti Rigati
2-3 cups of cheese sauce
1/2 c Mozzerella

Cheese sauce:
1 cup of hard cheese, grated (parmesean, manchego, romano, etc) I used manchego and parmesen.
2 T butter
2 T flour
2+ c milk

Put butter and flour in a pot and melt over medium heat. Stir roux until light brown. Slowly add milk and whisk until blend. Add milk a little at a time while thickening the sauce. Add cheese and blend thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put the pasta on to boil per instructions. Saute the chicken, set aside. Drain pasta. Stir in Cheese Sauce and chicken. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with Mozerella. Place into a 400F oven until heated through and cheese is melted.

The kids did have certain tasks... some of which I ended up finishing. My daughter was helping with the bissuits, but they proved to messy for my little prima donna. She was amazed watching me. though. She asked how it didn't stick to my hands. Kids are so funny!  My oldest son wanted to cut the chicken into pieces before we cooked it. I showed him what I wanted and he tried... really he did! This time I took the knife and volunteered to finish. Enough said! My kids devoured this and loved it even more because they got to help me make it!! If you have children, I hope you enjoy teaching them. If you don't, I hope you just enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment